Main Menu

User Menu

Login

Techno RV Forum

Discussion boards
It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:18 pm
Select variation:

Modification to-do question

The place to show pictures, inside and out, of your RV. Any cool modifications are welcomed!

Moderators: Techno Eric, Techno Tami

by Walt_H » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:19 am

I would like to make a modification to our coach in order to make the front TV a bit more easy to see. We just purchased a 2005 Newmar Mountain Aire with the front TV mounted above the dashboard. We plan to remove the boat anchor TV currently there and replace it with an LCD, probably around 32-inches.

What I would like to be able to do is have the TV fit flush against the existing TV enclosure during travel and swing down below the enclosure when in use so are to eliminate any chance of pulled neck muscles while watching. Has anyone done anything like this or have suggestions as to how to accomplish this? My initial thought was to get an articulating arm TV wall mount and mount it on the bottom of the TV enclosure. I think this would work, but because the mount would then be "sideways," the tilt angle (usually 15-20 degrees) would then become the swivel angle, and I'm not sure that would provide enough swivel.

My carpentry skills are somewhat limited, and our budget took a hit making the purchase, so simpler and cheaper is better. Thanks for any suggestions.

Walt
Walt
2005 Newmar Mountain Aire 3504
2008 Jeep Wrangler X
Walt_H

by Techno Eric » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:37 pm

Hi Walt,

You may have stumped the whole group. I have not done this before. I hope someone has some tips for you out there..

Eric
Techno Eric

by punomatic » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:38 am

How about one of these? If you could cover the opening where your CRT set is now with a piece of veneer plywood, stained or painted to match your decor and then use one of the mounts I linked above, you may be able to accomplish what you are after. I toyed with the same idea you have, when I had a MH, just never got around to actually doing it. I did make the switch to a flat panel set, but I never fixed it so it would lower into place for a better viewing angle. My immediate solution was to sit in my recliner and tilt the chair back until the viewing angle was comfortable. :mrgreen: DW would recline on the sofa for the same reason. I guess that's why I never did it the right way, as you propose.
DW and me and Pogo (the neurotic terrier) and Lulu (the Moxie with moxie)
2002 Western Canada RV WSB100 Camper, 2001 Ford F350 V10 LB CC
Remember our motto here at camp: "If at first you don't mess up, try, try again."
Topper Takes a Trip
punomatic

by ARB435 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:19 pm

Hey Walt, Can you post a few pictures of what is existing so we can gt an idea of what you are starting from?
ARB435

by Walt_H » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:53 pm

Sorry not to respond sooner, but we had internet problems until late yesterday. As for the mounts suggested, I have looked at some like those, but while the all swivel from one side to the other and tilt slightly, none of them appear to actually drop down to more of an eye-level viewing angle.

The coach is in the shop having some minor adjustments made, so I am not able to post pictures, but maybe I can better describe what I am working with. The TV compartment is above the dash, across the ceiling, in the middle between two compartments, one holding the existing DVD player and stereo receiver, etc., and the other housing the motors for two fans. What I want to do is remove the existing CRT TV, perhaps build a shelf back in the compartment to house a DVD player and mount a larger TV (probably 32-inches) to cover the front of the compartment opening. That would be its resting position during travel. When we are parked, the TV could then be swiveled down or somehow lowered to a position just below the bottom of the existing TV compartment in order to create a better viewing angle.

I had thought to take an articulating arm mount and mount it just inside the TV compartment on the bottom (where the bottom of the existing TV sits) allowing the articulating arms to lower the TV into position. However, from everything I have read on the various mounts, changing where the base is mounted (from a side or a back wall to the bottom of the compartment) would mean that the tilt angles would become the amount of swivel I have. Many of the mounts tilt 5-degrees "up" and 15-degrees "down." Changing the base mount point as I propose would, therefore, give me a 5-degree swivel to the left and 15-degrees to the right, which is likely not enough.

The problem with all of the "full-motion" mounts I have looked at is that they are not really full-motion. They do move in all directions; it's just that they move more in some directions than in others. This discussion on another forum http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/another-tv-install-144785.html shows pictures of what I would like to end up with as far as TV viewing angle. It's just more work than I feel capable of.
Walt
2008 Jeep Wrangler X
Walt_H

by Walt_H » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:03 pm

I think this is the first mount I've found that comes close to doing what I am looking to do http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=109&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082821&p_id=9744&seq=1&format=2. It adjusts height up to 13-inches. While it would be nice if it adjusted lower, this might be as close as I can come. Having found this one, though, I'll keep looking.
Walt
2008 Jeep Wrangler X
Walt_H

by esfritzi » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:50 am

I have a 2002 Mountain Aire that I purchased in 2012 that had this modification done. The previous owner took a piece of plywood, cut out strategic holes that exposed the component inputs of the 27" TV. He then mounted the TV to the plywood with a plate. On the 4 corners of the plywood, he installed "L" brackets and attached the plywood back into the "wooden box" with long wood screws. The plywood was covered with black felt that can be purchased at any crafts store. Once the TV/plywood was secured, the existing frame that came with the old TV was simply lodged back into place and secured with Velcro, etc.

The other option would be to buy a slightly larger 32" TV, forget the plywood and install a cross bar piece of wood that the telescopic TV mounting bracket can be attached to using "L" brackets again. The larger TV will hide the complete opening.
esfritzi

by Walt_H » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:59 am

I am planning to go with a 32-inch TV. So far, that is the only part of the project that has been decided upon. :)
Walt
2008 Jeep Wrangler X
Walt_H

by not me » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:11 pm

how about a standard "permanent" mount for the up position with a couple of cam lock fasteners instead of screws

on the bottom edge then install another of the top hangers down low for viewing position.

lift it up again and lock in place for travel.
not me

by Walt_H » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:38 am

not me wrote:how about a standard "permanent" mount for the up position with a couple of cam lock fasteners instead of screws

on the bottom edge then install another of the top hangers down low for viewing position.

lift it up again and lock in place for travel.

Sorry, I am just now seeing this. After thinking this through a couple of times, I think I understand what you are suggesting, although I think I might need a visual to be sure. I'm also not sure how putting something through the vinyl that covers the bottome exterior of the TV compartment would look. Still, it is something to consider. Thanks.
Walt
2008 Jeep Wrangler X
Walt_H