Techno RV Forum

Discussion boards
It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:34 pm
Select variation:

Converting my RV to LED lights

Inquiries of converting your RV to LED lighting or questions about your LED's

Moderators: Techno Eric, Techno Tami

by Techno Eric » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:13 am

Has anyone converted their RV to LED lights? If so, what was your experience going through that process? Was it easy? What was difficult about it? Do you like the results? Can you tell a big difference in the energy pull from your batteries?
Techno Eric

by agr8skp » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:11 am

I converted all my incandescent & halogen lights to LED's and found it very easy. I got everything from TechnoRV. I haven't bothered to convert the fluorescent tubes yet as I don't use them but that is fairly easy too. There is a very big difference in both heat output and electrical usage with the LED's. Much better. Very little heat and electrical usage way down. Love them.
agr8skp

by rag-ftw » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:37 pm

I converted over five years ago prior to most US companies even offering LEDs. Ordered direct from vendors in Hong Kong and received extremely good prices on all ordered lamps, however delivery times often exceeded three weeks. I did receive a few that were pretty much junk and had to be discarded, but by and large I was able to complete the project with satisfactory results that I still experience today. With the cost reduction in LEDs offered today from Techno RV and their superior quality control if I had to do it over I would let them do the hard work of finding good suppliers.

We do a fair amount of boon docking and I really like the extended battery time between required charges the LEDs offer.
rag-ftw

by ChuckD » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:29 pm

I changed 21 lights in my Greyhawk to LED. They use less power, by a bunch, and are a lot cooler. I can't see any difference in the amount of light showing. I charge my four batteries with solar and no longer have an electrical power problems at all. Now if there was something to reduce the contents of the black tank as efficiently I would never have to move..:) :)
ChuckD

by ARB435 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:50 pm

I have changed about half of my lights to LED recently, and I love it. I can actually touch the LED and not get burned. Couldnt even think of that with my old incandescents. Just shows you the heat coming off those old lights. Got my LEDs from TechnoRV. Great lights, recieved them quickly, and easy to change out. For those thinking about converting, do it. less energy, less heat, great lighting.
ARB435

by Smokey Camping » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:12 am

You bet I have every lamp in my coach was converted to LED and there is no going back. I love the lights the money savings ( I have a seasonal site in NY and pay for my electric so yes any step I can take works for my pocket) I purchased mine direct from china and yes it saved me a ton more money doing it that way (http://www.ledlightbulb.net/) the only issue with doing this is it takes a little shipping time but I can live with that for the price savings.
So good luck and move forward and get all those old style bulbs out and enjoy the freedom of LEDS
Happy Camping
Happy Camping from Smokey Camping
2001 GMC 2500 hd w/ 8.1 and Allison
2010 forest river silver back cedar creek 35 ts
Smokey Camping

by paintedtugboat » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:08 am

I have been converting my RV's incandesant and halogen bulbs to LED and today discovered a problem. Some of the 921 replacements have started flickering, dimming and causing a "back flow" of current in the 12 volt electrical system. (My water pump indicator lights glow faintly even though the pump is off). These LED bulbs were not cheap, were replaced just a couple of months ago and now I have to replace them or go back to the old type.
paintedtugboat

by paintedtugboat » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:30 pm

UPDATE:I found the offending LED bulb(s). The two I removed from the sconce stopped the glow in the water pump light. The LED bulbs were 921-24-5050-WW that had also caused two other 921-24-5050-WW bulbs in the other sconce (on the same circuit) to dim. The offending bulbs were replaced with regular incandescent 921's.

I am not sure why the bad LEDs caused the water pump lights to glow since they are not on the same circuit. I can only guess that the bad LEDs sent some kind of back flow to the 12 volt system. I would appreciate any all opinions.
paintedtugboat